Friday, August 25, 2017



I've had a great interest in learning Japanese language and culture. Even though I have never been to Japan (I am sure I will), I've heard great things from people who've traveled there. I know that the history between China and Japan has not all been so friendly, but even my father insisted on buying a Japanese-imported rice cooker. Chinese people have been zealous about Japanese products, from little things like snacks to transportation tools like vehicles. It was amazing to me that after world war II, Japan, such a tiny land, could develop a miraculous economy. It must have something to do with the culture and how society functions. I've read the book 《The Chrysanthemum and the Sword: Patterns of Japanese Culture 》 by Ruth Benedict, a well-known American anthropologist.

It was very interesting to uncover the reasons behind a lot of seemingly unreasonable phenomenon of Japan.

Personally, I enjoy ramen and sushi. Someday when I travel to Japan I can finally taste some real Japanese food! Taking this Japanese class will sure prepare me well of my journey ahead!

Last but not least, I've started to like Nana Kumatsu, a Japanese actress. I just can't say enough good words about her. I've watched one of her movies, Obereru knife. She acted unexpectedly well in that movie. Even though the movie plot was ridiculous, her beautiful face made it all worth it.

6 comments:

  1. It was great to read about your interest in Japanese culture. I also really enjoy ramen and sushi, and would like to travel to Japan for authentic food! I hope your studies go well (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Japan this summer and it was great. Hopefully you will someday get to travel there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear about your travels to Japan. I'll definitely check out some of Nana Kumatsu's work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. こんにちは!
    わたしはとくだです。Teaching Assistantです。
    Hello!
    I am Tokuda, Teaching Assistant.

    I also like Komatsu Nana. She is so cute.
    Do you have any favorite Japanese actor/actress?
    Ruth Benedict did a great job to understand Japan, and today's Japan seem changing from her work.
    you can feel our culture,society and differences in person when you visit Japan.
    What you are learning in class will be very helpful.
    Let's enjoy learning Japanese together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tokuda sensee,

      Thanks for your kind message.
      I don't really have a favorite Japanese actor/actress, but I am trying to watch more J-dramas :D.
      Also thanks for pointing out modern Japan has changed quite a bit from what Benedict described in her book.
      I've really enjoyed the class!
      Are you a graduate student from Japan? I feel like I met zero Japanese students at Notre Dame.

      Delete
    2. I came here as soon as after I finished my undergrad study in Japan. I met just one Japanese undergrad students here. I was also surprised there is few Japanese in Southbend!!

      Delete

宿題 9/17 (月)

会話 テーブルに行きませんでしたから、 小林さんに会ったことがありません。 私はサウスベンドに八年住んでいますね、大変!この冬はとても寒くて、あまり好きじゃありません。風が強くてふいています。 1)冬になる前に冬 ジャケットを買って下さい。UPモルやMichigan outl...